Vicks VapoRub is one of the most utilized over-the-counter decongestants that exists over one hundred years and widely used.
It is topical cream quite often applied on the chest, back and throat in the treatment of nasal blockage and coughs.
It is widely used due to the wide range of medicinal properties which are result of the contained active components, such as eucalyptus oil, camphor and menthol. However, it has other inactive ingredients, including petrolatum, thymol, cedar leaf oil, nutmeg oil, turpentine oil and lemon fragrance.
Vicks VapoRub incorporates other uses which are less known for the wider population, yet in this article we shall present all of them.
- Treats Headaches
If you want quickly to alleviate sinus headaches or eliminate stress all you need is a bottle of Vicks VapoRub. It is so efficient that it can successfully treat a migraine headache.
All three active ingredients incorporated in Vick’s will assist you in relieving painful headaches.
If you frequently experience stress headaches, then rub some of Vicks VapoRub on the forehead and temple, and then massage gently for quick pain relief.
- Clears Acne
Vicks VapoRub is also helpful if you have acne issues, it will successfully clean up acne and providing you with clear face. This is the most frequent used homemade remedy for acne.
Thanks to the active ingredient menthol in it, it can offer quick pain relief and swelling reduction. It is so efficient that the face will be free of acne just in few days. Just follow the procedure:
- Use small amount of Vicks VapoRub on the impacted area.
- Leave it to stay for around 30 minutes.
- Then, rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this procedure 3 times a day for a few days, that is, until your face is clear of acne.
- Treats Warts
Thanks to the active ingredients Vicks is an amazing treatment for warts, particularly periungual warts. Namely, the methanol, thymol and eucalyptus oil aid in destroying the virus that triggers warts. These potent ingredients greatly assist in shrinking and drying out warts.
Properly apply Vicks VapoRub on the afflicted area, cover it with gauze and put on socks. Then, let it stand for a couple of hours or during the entire night. Repeat this procedure every day in the week or until the wart completely falls off.
Have in mind: Before applying Vicks VapoRub, secure your feet from all kind of wetness, they need to be entirely dry.
- Alleviates Achy Muscles
Again Vicks VapoRub is a quick solution for relieving overworked, sore and achy muscles. Due to the contained menthol the blood circulation is improved hence providing quick relief to achy muscles. Here it is the procedure:
- You need to rub a solid amount of Vicks VapoRub over the achy muscles.
- Then massage the balm gently for 5 minutes.
- After that, you need to wrap the affected area with a dry, warm towel.
- Next, lie down for some period of time so that the balm does its job.
- Repeat the procedure 2 or 3 times a day.
- Soothes Insect Bites
Vicks VapoRub is an ideal solution for chigger, ant, mosquito or other insect bites as it can offer instant relief from the itchiness and burning sensation.
Thanks to the cooling effect of menthol the itching experience will be soothed. Likewise, it will minimize the risk of blisters and infections. This is the procedure:
- First wash the affected area with cold water.
- Then, use some Vicks VapoRub, and include little bit of salt in it, and then mix nicely.
- Now, apply the mix on the affected area.
- If needed repeat again.
- Fights Toenail Fungus
Your feet will be free from toe nail fungus, if you utilize a container of Vicks VapoRub since it is an efficient remedy for this issue.
The active compound thymol in Vicks contains potent antiseptic, antimicrobial and anti-bacterial properties which are of great assistance in impeding the growth of the fungus.
According to a 2011 conducted study, it was find out that Vicks VapoRub has a positive clinical influence in treating onychomycosis; this study was released in the Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine. This is the procedure:
- Start with applying Vicks on the infected toe nail, then secure it with gauze and wear socks.
- Then, repeat the process 2-3 times a day until the nail turns dark and the toenail grows out.
- At last, cut off the dark part.
- Continue to apply Vicks for another couple of weeks so that you eliminate any remaining fungi and bacteria.
Have in mind: Your toe nail needs to be entirely dry prior application of Vicks on it.
- Treats Cracked Heels
This incredible balm will keep your heels nice looking, healthy, smooth and free from unattractive cracks. Thanks to the ingredients menthol, camphor and turpentine oil, it will trap in moisture and heal cracked heels. Apply the following procedure:
- Prior going to sleep, soak your feet in lukewarm water for 10 minutes.
- Then, scrub the cracked areas by using pumice stone so that you efficiently remove dead skin cells.
- Next, wash the area with clean water and pat dry completely.
- Now, start rubbing some Vicks on your feet and heels, and massage carefully.
- Wear socks and leave them on your feet overnight.
- In the morning, wash your feet with warm water.
- You need to repeat this procedure each night till your cracked heels are completely healed.
- Repels Mosquitoes
Mosquitoes are known carriers for a number of dangerous diseases like dengue and malaria. Therefore, you need to keep away mosquitoes, and you can achieve this by using Vicks VapoRub as it is the best eco-friendly mosquito repellent. Likewise, it is not as expensive as the commercial repellents available in the market. Here how you can protect yourself from mosquitoes:
- You can rub some Vicks VapoRub on your neck, behind your ears, elbows, inner knees, and other exposed areas to prevent mosquito bites.
- There is another solution by opening a bottle of Vicks and place it on the outdoor table to keep mosquitoes at bay.
- However, if you are bitten by mosquitoes then rub some Vicks on the affected area and let it stay for a couple of minutes so that it relieves itching.
- Helpsin Pet Training
You can safe your furnishings, couch, doors from the scratches of your dog or cat by using Vicks VapoRub. Namely, animals cannot stand the smell of Vicks VapoRub; therefore they try to avoid it. Just apply some of the VapoRub on the areas where your pet has a habit of scratching a lot. The minute the pet sense the smell it will avoid coming near it and scratching it.
Vicks VapoRub can be utilized as assistance in potty training your pet. Simply place an open bottle of Vicks on the areas where your pet likes to mark them as their territory, and once they smell it they will immediately go away.
- Decreases Stretch Marks
If you do not like your stretch marks and want lower their visibility use Vicks VapoRub. It does not cost as much as the expensive available lotions or creams on the market and at the same time it is very efficient.
The methanol and eucalyptus compounds will fade stretch marks in the most natural way. Then, the cedar leaf oil, camphor, petrolatum, and turpentine oil will aid in lowering skin dryness that contributes to the sticking out of stretch marks.
Furthermore, thanks to the anti-inflammatory property of eucalyptus, the stretch marks will be lightened together with the other minor scars. Use the following procedure:
- Start with rubbing a small quantity of VapoRub on the skin where you have visible stretch marks.
- Massage by using circular movements lasting for 1 minute.
- Perform this twice a day for a few weeks to acquire visible results.
Other sources included: