Sweet potatoes are a part of different species and a different family of potatoes. They appear in a variety of colors. They are found with white-cream and yellow-orange color. However, they are also with purple flesh.
Nonetheless, no matter how they look or to which family of potatoes they belong the most important thing is that they contain exceptional nutritional values. Likewise, they are packed with antioxidants.
Fifteen Nutritious Facts:
- This vegetable is an ideal choice for people suffering from diabetes. They are very good for regulation of sugar levels as they contain natural sugars that can reduce and stabilize the insulin resistance in diabetics.
- They are high in dietary fibers meaning that they are excellent for proper digestion. Likewise, sweet potatoes prevent colon cancer and aid against constipation.
- Thanks to the content of carotenoids they help in the production of Vitamin A. Vitamin A can regenerate the respiratory system. If you are a smoker you should eat more sweet potatoes as they are highly beneficial for you, this also applies for people with respiratory issues.
- Vitamin D is also an important constituent in sweet potatoes. It is advantageous for the heart, teeth, skin, and bones; highly beneficial for the thyroid gland as it helps in its normal function, and improves energy levels as well.
- Potassium supports heart function. This vitamin reduces the effect of sodium, regulates blood pressure and balances the electrolytes. Furthermore, the sweet potato possesses Vitamin B6 which is beneficial in the prevention against heart attacks, strokes and degenerative diseases.
- Thanks to the contained potassium, the body obtains healthy tissues and muscles. Likewise, it aids in lowering swelling and cramps, offers energy and relaxes the muscles, and regulates heartbeats and nerve signals.
- Further on, the potassium in this type of potatoes increases oxygen flow, regulates the balance of the body’s water and stabilizes the heartbeats. Magnesium is also contained in sweet potatoes and has the function of an anti-stress agent.
- Beta –carotene is also a part of sweet potato and has the function of an anti-oxidant. It assists with arthritis, asthma and gout, protects against lung and breast cancer and it slows down aging process.
- They are high in folic acid, which is highly needed for a healthy fetal growth. Therefore, women who are expecting should consume more sweet potatoes.
- Sweet potatoes are packed with Vitamin C, and we all know how vital it can be for the whole body function.
Likewise, the Vitamin C in the sweet potato can produce collagen while the contained vitamin E will assist in better skin complexion. The anthocyanins, on the other hand will help you in eliminating wrinkles and purifying the dark circles around the eyes.
11. They are as well as abundant in iron having the important role in the production of red and white blood cells. Because of this they are extremely helpful against anemia.
- The water from the boiled potatoes can be utilized for treating skin issues, particularly for irritation of the skin, cleaning the pores and absorbing impurities.
- If you suffer from painful pre-menstrual symptoms consuming sweet potatoes can help you with this issue as they contain iron and manganese.
- Beta carotene can successfully assist you in damaged hair and dandruff, it will prevent their occurrence and at the same time, it will incite hair growth.
- Sweet potatoes are rich in vitamins crucial for the enzyme, protein and carbohydrate metabolism; therefore consume them as often as possible.
However, if you have suffered from oxalate urinary tract stones, you should seek for an advice from your doctor prior use.