These 9 Common Habits Can Really Damage Your Kidneys!

Just as the liver, kidneys help filter and cleanse the blood, but many other functions are equally important. They are thus vital organs, and sometimes we do not protect them enough. Really, without realizing it, certain actions directly or indirectly damage our kidneys. Here are the 9 habits to avoid!

The kidneys main function is to filter the blood and remove waste, but not only that! They are also responsible for maintaining water and mineral balance in the body and produce necessary hormones to some mechanisms of the body. Taking good care of the kidneys is essential for maintaining good overall health. To do this, avoid these 9 very common habits:

1 – Eating lots of salt

Salt or sodium is essential for proper functioning of our body, but when consumed excessively, it can cause serious harm. This condiment used very frequently in the kitchen can actually reduce kidney function, according to results of a study by the University of Delaware, it will affect the whole balance of the body.

Furthermore, a significant consumption of salt is also linked to a higher risk of hypertension, a disease which, in the long term can lead to renal failure.

So moderate your consumption by replacing the salt with spices, and always prefer natural sea salt or Himalayan salt. Stop using refined table salt!

2 – Lack of hydration

The kidneys receive 2 cups of water every minute, and filter 20%. They absorb 99% of the purified quantity, while the rest (1%), will constitute the urine (6 to 8 cups). Therefore it is always advisable to drink 6 to 8 cups of water a day! This not only helps to maintain a good fluid balance, but also to avoid the accumulation of crystallizing substances, which can lead to formation of kidney stones.

3 – Refrain from urinating

Many people are forced to remember to urinate, because of the nature of their work (teachers, cashiers …), while others do it by choice!

Retaining of urination can be a real health risk. This can cause urinary tract infections caused by bacteria in the urine which have remained too long in the bladder. This habit can also cause kidney stones or cystitis, which, untreated, can progress to pyelonephritis, a severe kidney inflammation.

4 – Lack of vitamins and minerals

Vitamins and minerals are essential for the functioning of our whole body and may also help prevent certain diseases, including kidney disorder.

In fact, vitamin B6 and magnesium are very beneficial to renal function. They help maintain the solubility of calcium oxalate crystals, which helps reduce the risk of kidney stone formation.

5 – Eating a lot of sugar

Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure. So regularly check the blood sugar levels and limit the sugar intake which is very important to prevent diseases and protect the kidneys.

6 – Eating lots of red meat

Eating lots of red meat rhymes with a volume of waste to be eliminated. Indeed, significant quantities of red meat require more effort by the kidneys to be evacuated, which may cause in the long term, damage or malfunction.

7 – Lack of sleep

A good night’s sleep is essential for our body to get ready to face a new day. It is also during sleep that the body tries to repair the damage to its tissues and cells, including the kidneys. Sleeping 7 to 9 hours not only helps preserve your health but also protect your kidneys!

8 – Drinking lots of coffee and/or alcohol

Just as salt, coffee and alcohol can raise the blood pressure and cause hypertension. Remember that this disease is a leading cause of kidney failure, alongside diabetes.

Furthermore, according to a study published in The Journal of Urology, caffeine consumption may slightly increase the risk of formation of calcium oxalate crystals, i.e.  kidney stones.

9 – Consuming lots of painkillers

Today, analgesics are used to alleviate any type of pain, even the most minor! They can be dangerous for the health in case of prolonged use. Anti-inflammatory drugs, in particular, are very harmful to the kidneys. To relieve pain, these drugs inhibit the function of two enzymes, COX-1 and COX-2. The first allows the synthesis of prostaglandins produced in the kidney and responsible for the perfusion of the kidney. Thus, by preventing the action of this enzyme, it causes a limitation of the kidney perfusion which can lead to renal failure.

Source: choosehealthylife.com

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *