You have to be aware of the fact that carcinogenic elements can be also traced in the makeup you use. Namely, high amounts of harmful metals were traced in different types of makeup products among which is the lipstick. Manufactures of these makeup products have income of billions of dollars annually. So, you may be very cautious in what you consume every day, however you also need to be very careful about what type of makeup you use every day.
Do not neglect the content of makeup products, always check the labels and see what ingredients they have in them. Unfortunately, the U.S. government does not implement mandatory testing for cosmetic products prior their display on store shelves.
As a matter of fact, lipsticks, deodorants, shampoos, and other personal care products usually are not tested for health compliance. Some products do not even have a list of their ingredients.
If your lipstick contains heavy metals or chemicals in its content, then you are also ingesting high amounts of these harmful substances. So, if you are a regular user of lipstick applying it several times during the day, then there is a strong chance that you are ingesting incredibly high amounts of heavy metals such as lead.
Harmful Metals that Form Carcinogenic Lipstick
According to a study by the Environmental Defense group, which tested 49 makeup items for their level of toxic metals, reported dangerously disturbing levels of contamination in heavy metal in almost each product.
The 49 tested items involved:
- 5 foundations,
- 4 powders,
- 4 concealers,
- 8 lipsticks or glosses,
- 5 blushes or bronzers,
- 7 mascaras,
- 2 eyeliners, and
- 14 eye shadows.
Namely, from all of the tested products, around 96% contained lead based ingredients, 90% contained beryllium based ingredients, and 61% had in their content thallium based ingredients. Furthermore, it was found out that 51% of the items had cadmium and 20% contained arsenic.
Eight metals were tested on each of these products, and it was revealed that most of the products included four metals, and every single product tested had in its content at least two of the four metals which are highly harmful for the overall health and well-being. Those metals were:
All these metals are extremely toxic and can seriously damage the health.
Actually FDA report released couple of years ago, revealed 400 different brand models of lipstick that had in their content certain amounts of lead. Yet, this report stated that the levels of these metals were not substantially high therefore they do not pose a health and safety threat. However, Dr. Mark Mitchell, from the National Medical Association, claims something totally different, quoting: “… lead can build up over time in the body, and if the particular lipstick that contains lead is applied several times per day, it can add up to alarming levels of exposure.”
In the study of the Environmental Defense group, 51% of the tested makeup products were made of cadmium-based ingredients. Cadmium is a metal well-known for its carcinogenic properties. In fact, many conducted studies on breast cancer patients have traced cadmium amounts in their system.
The worrisome fact is that these metals do not provoke an immediate reaction, but they build up in time thereby making the body more susceptible to health issues occurring in future time. Therefore, after frequent usage for many years, these products increase the risk of cancer and many other health concerns.
Carcinogenic Lipstick List
- (#558 Mad for Mauve), Avon Beyond Color
- (Toffee), Burt’s Bees Lip Shimmer
- (#580 Ruby Remix), Cover Girl Queen Collection Vibrant Hues
- (#025 Warm Brick), Cover Girl Continuous Color
- (#410 Volcanic), L’Oreal Color Riche
- (#165 Tickled Pink), L’Oreal Color Riche
- (#530 Mauve Amour), L’Oreal Endless
- (#748 Heroic), L’Oreal Intensely Moisturizing Lipcolor
- (#125 Pink Petal), Maybelline Color Sensational
- (#475 Mauve Me), Maybelline Color Sensation
- (#1009 Funny Face), NARS Semi-Matte
- (#1005 Red Lizard), NARS Semi-Matte
- (#009 Fabulous Fig), Revlon Matte
- (#375 Ripened Red), Revlon Color Stay
- (#631 Luminous Pink), Revlon Super Lustrous Peal
- (#643 Satin Plum), Revlon Super Lustrous Peal
- (#103c), Stargazer Lipstick
- (#27 Mauvey), Sonia Kashuk Luxury Lip Color
Non-carcinogenic Lipstick List
- Bella Mari Pure Mineral Lipstick
- Canyon Lipstick
- Coastal Classic Creations
- Isoi Bulgarian Rose Lip Treatment Balm
- Maia’s Mineral Galaxy Lipstick
- Organic Infused Lip Love Lipstick
- Rejuva Minerals Pur Lips Lipstick
- W3ll People Extreme Lip Gloss
Other sources included: