Turmeric is a well-known spice with numerous health benefits as a result of which is even referred to as the golden spice. Namely, it offers over 600 health benefits. It contains a highly potent active compound named as curcumin, which provides a wide spectrum of health benefits and healing features.
Health Benefits of Turmeric
- The use of turmeric reduces the risk of heart disease by improving a few risk factors for heart disease.
- Turmeric prevents and treats cancer.
- It provides powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Curcumin impedes the molecules responsible for the inflammation and it neutralizes free radicals as well.
- It elevates the levels of the brain hormone BDNF, which stimulates the growth of new neurons and fights off degenerative processes in the brain.
- The levels of neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine are being enhanced, thus defeating depression.
- Turmeric prolongs the aging process and fights age-related conditions.
Many people think that only using a curcumin extract would be enough to get the benefits of turmeric. However, the whole turmeric provides many healing benefits which you may have been missing out. For instance, when polyps or colonic inflammation are considered the use of the whole plant instead of an extract is much better because the extract can be absorbed by the small intestine before reaching the large intestine.
The whole turmeric can help with brain regeneration, and in this case curcumin does not contribute to this advantage, and this benefit has been frequently overlooked.
Brain Regeneration Thanks to the Use of Whole Turmeric
The fat-soluble compound known as aromatic-turmerone found in turmeric has been often overlooked. But, the German researchers have in details studied its effects on neural stem cells and they came to the finding that the number of neutral stem cells increased by 80 % once exposed to aromatic-turmerone and thanks to which the healing process has started. When tested in animal studies, specifically on rats, they created healthy new brain cells and also researchers noticed a size growth in both subventricular zone and the hippocampus.
Ar-turmerone is a powerful regenerative which helps NSCs in brain regeneration and as well as in cases of degenerative diseases such as stroke or Alzheimer`s. It promotes stem cell proliferation, and likewise distinguishes between stems cells and neurons, which is the main goal of regenerative medicine. Curcumin, on the other hand has shown the ability to enhance the overall memory of Alzheimer`s patients.
The effects of ar-turmerone still need to be fully understood, but thanks to this recent study it reveals the ability of brain regeneration. Both curcumin and ar-turmerone are showing many health benefits, and in order to get the most of turmeric use it as a whole. Always have in mind that healing plants are consisted of many beneficial compounds and each one of them offers great benefits to the body.
Other sources included: