Pitaya or pitahaya are common names for dragon fruit which is characterized with reddish skin and texture very similar to the one of melons. There are couple of varieties of this fruit like the pitaya amarilla which has white flesh and a yellow skin with flame-like green spikes and astonishing flowers. Yet, as a result of the bland taste many people avoid consuming dragon fruit.
High Nutritional Value
Dragon fruit is loaded with antioxidants, protein, iron, carotene, calcium, phosphorus, phyto nutrients, polyunsaturated fatty acids, vitamins B and C. Moreover, the seeds of dragon fruit are high in omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.
13 Health Benefits of Dragon Fruit
- Anti-inflammatory effect – thanks to the presence of antioxidants in this fruit health conditions like asthma, arthritis, and gout can be treated.
- Anti-aging product – it is a great fruit that tightens the skin, therefore introduce dragon fruit more into your diet.
- Acne – the content of vitamin C is very helpful for the treatment of acne. You need to apply this fruit topically and solve this skin issue, just cut one slice of dragon fruit and mash it till you form a paste, and then rub it gently on the impacted skin area. After that, rinse everything well.
- Cardiovascular health – it promotes the health of the heart as its seeds contain good fat that reduce LDL-bad cholesterol by decreasing the plaque buildups in arteries.
- Cancer – it contains carotene which has the ability to shrink tumors, and the content of Vitamin C improves the immunity.
- Constipation – the dragon fruit is packed with fiber which will prevent constipation and improve the bowel movement. Consume 1 dragon fruit a day and your problem will be solved.
- Diabetes – it is free of sugar which makes it an ideal choice for diabetics. It is high in fiber balancing the blood sugar levels.
- Detox treatment – thanks to the consumption of dragon fruit you will remove the heavy metals from the body.
- Digestive system – aside the fact that it deals with constipation it also helps with poor digestion. The flesh and the seeds are packed with proteins, which will assist you with the constipation, the irritable bowel syndrome, and colorectal cancer.
- Heart – the monounsaturated fats protect the heart, and the antioxidants in this fruit prevent the cholesterol oxidation.
- Immunity – Vitamin C boosts the immune system and stimulates the antioxidants in the body. It protects the body from the harmful influence of the free radicals and also from cancer. Therefore, consume dragon fruit and improve the defense system of the body.
- Respiratory system- the presence of antioxidants and vitamin C helps in the treatment of asthma, bronchitis, and wheezing.
- Sunburns – it aids also with this skin issues thanks to the content of antioxidants and also to the other nutrients, which moisturize the skin. For optimal treatment of sunburns use it together with honey and cucumber juice.
The best dragon fruits are the pink or the bright red ripe fruits. Make sure that the fruit is ripe enough and for that purpose just squeeze it. The best consumption of dragon fruit is when it is chilled then it tastes much better. It can be added to smoothies or sorbet.
Introduce this exotic fruit into your daily diet as it is save for use with no side effects. Pregnant ladies can use it freely as well.