Ancient Aztecs used chia seeds as medicine and as a part of religious ceremonies. So, if you have not heard about chia seeds up to now and have wondered where they come from, they have already existed for centuries and were used for many health purposes.
This seed is an incredibly rich source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, omega 3 fatty acids, protein, and fiber. It is extremely potent compound that has the ability to efficiently regenerate skin, burn fat, aid digestion, and strengthen the body.
Because of all of these reasons, nutritionists highly recommend its consumption especially in the case of a weak body and low energy levels, and that is why it is commonly used by athletes.
Furthermore, chia seed contain 37% nutritional fibers that significantly enhance the work of intestines, therefore diets formed on these seeds are excellent colon cancer prevention.
There are many existing reasons for their daily consumption; here below are the following ones:
- It is gluten-free
- It cures digestive concerns thanks to the high concentration of fiber
- Extremely beneficial food for the brain and heart health, as it contains 20% of omega 3 fatty acids; this content is 8 times more than salmon.
- Chia seeds are great replacement for eggs, just mix them with water to form a gel and include them to recipes.
- Contains 20% protein.
- Improves the health of the nails, hair, and skin.
- Contains 2 times more potassium than bananas.
- Contains 3 times more iron than spinach.
- Contains 4 times more antioxidants than blueberries.
- Contains 5 times more calcium than milk.
- Contains 7 times more vitamin C than oranges.
- Contains 8 kinds of amino acids.
- Its use is ideal for diabetics, since it regulates blood glucose levels.
Use: Experts recommend 1 tablespoon of chia seeds on daily basis. They are abundant with fiber, therefore consume plenty of water.
Thanks to their pleasant and mild taste, they can be used in smoothies, or added to salads. Chia seeds can be also added to the dough for muffins and bread. Likewise, they can be mixed with almonds, pineapples, or coconut oil.
Moreover, they offer the feeling of fullness, especially when they are soaked in some water for 15 minutes, in that period of time they will grow in size, even 20 times bigger than their original size.
Other sources included: