Hummus is extremely beneficial food which is easy to prepare. It is present in chickpeas and it is a great source of B-vitamins and protein. Furthermore, it is loaded with fiber that makes it quite satiating food. Moreover, it enhances the immunity and as well as cleanses the gut.
This Egyptian delicious dip provides many health benefits, and people all around the world quite frequently use it, even celebrities are a fan of this food. Namely, back in 2010, people in Beirut made the biggest plate of hummus, weighing 23,520 pounds.
Health Benefits of Hummus
- Remarkable source of protein – thus lowering hunger cravings, it offers the feeling of satiety so you have no need for any excessive snacking, and as well as balances blood sugar levels.
- Great iron content – elevates energy levels thus making you more eager to exercise, therefore this food becomes a solid weight-loss agent.
- Hummus reduces cholesterol levels
- Fights cancer – as per many conducted studies on this issue, chickpeas substantially lower the risk of cancer. In fact, it is believed that it can lower it by 50%.
- Healthy food – Humus is a great healthy alternative for the unhealthy dips and bread spreads. It comes in different flavors and many varieties, and it takes a great part in the Mediterranean diet, thus making it extremely beneficial.
Characteristics of Chickpeas
Chickpeas have a sweet, nutty flavor, and because of that they are great addition to most salads. They are easily transformed into hummus, included into soups, or simply turn into a great nutritious snack by baking them in the oven until crispy.
Chickpeas belong to the bean family, but contrary to the other beans they are lower in starch thereby making them an ideal food for the people who want to lose a few pounds.
Chickpeas and other legumes have in their content compounds that can substantially reduce the growth of prostate and breast cells in vitro. They have been shown the ability to eradicate 64% precancerous colon growth in mice.
Many studies have confirmed that people who consume legumes on regular basis are at 32% lower risk of cancer in general, 57% lower risk of colon cancer and 45% lower risk of prostate cancer.
Prepare Homemade Hummus
If it is prepared correctly, the hummus will provide you with potent cancer-fighting properties They are easily available on the market, found in jars or cans, but ensure to use the ones that are not soaked in oil or do not have any added salt. But, for high-quality chickpeas, you should get dried variety.
The preparation is simple and easy, but make sure to use organic chickpeas.
The process for preparing hummus is almost the same for all recipes. If you choose canned beans, first rinse and drain them before you put them in a blender, and then add all the ingredients, blend till you get smooth texture. For thinner consistency, just add water so that you can have the desired texture. If you go for the dried variety of chickpeas, you need first to nicely boil them before you put them in a blender.
Here below, see the presented graphic: