Experiencing headaches and anxiety has become quite common nowadays, and because of that many people are using the prescribed medications in order to soothe these conditions. Unfortunately, these drugs can solve the issue at some point, but it will also bring you many side effects. Therefore, people start to turn to the natural remedies like for instance lavender lemonade.
This lemonade is a great natural and delicious way for dealing with headaches and anxiety. All you have to do is to spice up your lemonade with lavender, and in that way you will obtain all its medicinal qualities and as well as the pleasant aroma which brings relaxation to the senses.
Lavender Essential Oil
You can go for the flower or lavender essential oil, which is very healthy. It is extremely powerful as it contains over 150 active constituents. It has potent anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal, antidepressant, antiseptic, detoxifying, analgesic, antispasmodic, antimicrobial, hypotensive, and sedative properties. Although it is very strong, at the same time is gentle and because of that many people like it.
According to a study performed in Florida lavender oil eases anxiety and reduces pulse rates in nursing students just before taking their exams.
Also lavender aromatherapy has been proven to decrease pre-surgery distress and it has more calming effect than a performed massage.
This oil significantly aids in the case of insomnia, depression, sinus congestion, labor pains, and hangovers. Lavender is an ancient remedy due to its calming effects.
“Much prior research on lavender has focused on the administration of lavender via an olfactory route. The anxiolytic activity of lavender olfaction has been demonstrated in several small and medium-sized clinical trials. The efficacy of aromatherapy of lavender is thought to be due to the psychological effects of the fragrance combined with physiological effects of volatile oils in the limbic system.”
The following revelations are based on clinical trials:
1.Individuals receiving lavender oil (10%) olfaction for 3 minutes experienced significant relaxation thus making their anxiety levels substantially reduced, improving their overall mood, and as well as their scores of alpha power on EEG (an indicator of alertness). Also the speed of their mathematical calculations was boosted.
- Lavender aromatherapy, which can be performed with or without a massage, has the capability to reduce the perception of pain and as well as the need for conventional analgesics in adults and children.
- Lavender oil in burner was used in a hospital setting where it showed that 85% of the participants considered that its use improved staff mood and stress, and as well as the overall working environment.
- According to conducted studies lavender oil aromatherapy shows anxiolytic activity in patients in intensive care units. In this case, patients were subdued to at least 1 session of aromatherapy with 1% lavender essential oil. The first treatment showed substantial anxiolytic effects, but it was not that effective in the next two treatments.
- Many studies have also revealed that the pleasant aroma of lavender is associated to the changes in the autonomic nervous system.
In a study where patients were females with chronic hemodialysis the aromatherapy with lavender oil showed positive effects on depressed mood and anxiety. Researchers evaluated the effects of aromatherapy using the Hamilton rating scale for depression (HAMD) and the Hamilton rating scale for anxiety (HAMA). The aroma of lavender significantly lowered the scores of HAMA.
There are many ways of using lavender for improving your health. Here are some of them:
- A quarter of cup of dried lavender
(You can use dried, organic culinary lavender or 1 drop of lavender essential oil)
- Lemons (peeled and juiced)
- 1 cup of raw honey
- 5 cups of pure water
- Lavender sprigs for garnish
Start with boiling the water in a pan, and after that turn off the heat. Next, include the honey and the dried lavender, and let it simmer for 20 minutes. Then strain the solution and transfer it to a larger container. In the end, add the lemon juice and the remaining water, and stir. Store this solution in a refrigerator.
Other Ways of Lavender Use
- In order to relieve stress, diffuse 10 to12 drops of lavender into the air.
- For ideal hydration of your dry skin, include 5 to 6 drops of lavender essential oil into your bath water.
- Prepare your own natural body oil; just add 2 drops of lavender per ounce of your favorite unrefined organic oil. This oil will offer you great relaxation, improve the condition of your skin, better sleeping hours, and, keep insects at bay.