Apple cider vinegar – ACV is extremely beneficial for the treatment of various health conditions, and it has been widely used due to its potent properties.
However, not many people are aware of the fact that it can be harmful when combined with other specific medications. When combined with these medications this highly beneficial vinegar can cause severe adverse effects and lead to some health issues.
Avoid Use of ACV with Any of These Medications
No matter how beneficial apple cider vinegar can be for the overall body, by any means avoid combining it with the following medications. Note that the intake of apple cider vinegar can interact with certain medications thus reducing the potassium levels in the organism.
So, if you are on some of these medications do not use apple cider vinegar.
- Diuretics – Diuril, Lasix, Microzidea and Thalitone
Commonly these meds are used for the treatment of bloating as they incite the body to flush out the buildup liquids. The body needs proper amounts of potassium levels as it has the ability to maintain the water balance. When apple cider vinegar is consumed, the potassium levels are being reduced which eventually leads to dehydration.
- Digoxin or Lanoxin
It is used for the treatment of heart diseases. The ACV combination with this medication hampers the absorption of potassium in the organism, thereby raising the risk of side effects like vision problems, dizziness, mood swings, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Patients with diabetes have a great need of the insulin medication which regulates their blood sugar levels. The ACV combination with insulin substantially reduces the potassium and the blood sugar levels.
Apple cider vinegar can manage the blood sugar levels in the body, but according to some studies you should never take it in combination with insulin. Therefore, be extremely cautious while using apple cider vinegar as long term use of apple cider vinegar can cause low potassium levels in the body thereby triggering many other health issues. Note that the consumption of 8 oz. of ACV a day for a few years can cause osteoporosis.
Do Not Use Apple Cider Vinegar If You Belong to the Following Groups
- Pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers
It is advised for the pregnant women to avoid the use of ACV as there are not sufficient evidence how apple cider vinegar can impact the body of the expecting mom and as well as the fetus.
This advice applies also for the breastfeeding mothers as it can negatively affect the newborns.
- Postmenopausal women
If you belong to the postmenstrual women, then you are most likely to have decreased bones density. Since ACV can reduce the potassium levels in the body, then high amounts of ACV can lead to osteoporosis.
Diabetics must be extremely careful while using apple cider vinegar. ACV decreases blood sugar levels, and if you are on insulin great damage can be done to the body. Therefore, if you intend to use ACV you need to adjust the intake of blood sugar medications.
The combination of insulin and ACV extremely reduces the potassium in the body, which is highly needed for optimal function of the body system.
Nevertheless, we shall specify the numerous benefits of apple cider vinegar which are extremely helpful especially if you do not belong to the above mentioned groups of people.
Health Advantages of Apple Cider Vinegar
- ACV helps the weight loss process. It provides the feeling of satiety for a longer period of time hence lowering the appetite.
- ACV can lower the risk of esophageal cancer by incredible 37%, according to a Chinese conducted study.
- It incorporates powerful antibacterial and antifungal properties. Thanks to these potent qualities it can treat yeast infections and athlete’s foot.
- ACV has in its content acetic acid, which can lower the blood pressure and the levels of bad cholesterol, and in that way decreasing the cancer risks.
- This vinegar can be very helpful for diabetics as it contains anti-glycemic properties, which can prevent the digestion of starches which trigger the increase of blood sugar levels in the body.
Other sources included: