Healthy diet means consuming more vegetables, and one of those vegetables are cucumbers. Cucumber comes from the same family as zucchini, watermelon, and other squash, the flesh of this vegetable is refreshing and juicy, and its skin is very much similar to watermelon which shouldn’t be peeled off as it is loaded with vitamin A. This type of melon has in its content 96% water that is naturally distilled. It is packed with antioxidants, vitamin C, vitamin B complex, calcium, potassium, folate, silica, sodium, molybdenum, manganese, sulfur, and phosphorus.
12 Health Advantages of Consuming Cucumbers
Many people do not use fresh cucumbers in their diet mostly because of their taste. This is so wrong because cucumber possesses plenty of benefits, and as well as cooling and thirst-quenching properties that are highly refreshing. It acts as an antioxidant when taken together with barbecued and fried foods. On the other hand, cucumber juice can be combined with orange or carrot juices.
- Blood pressure – The cucumber regulates blood pressure due to the content of sodium and various minerals.
- Inflammation – The uric acid is accountable for the inflammation in joints. However, the cucumber has the ability to remove the uric acid from the body thereby treating the joint inflammation. Likewise, it is helpful when other inflamed conditions are concerned, including asthma, gout, and arthritis.
- Acidity – The juice of cucumber has in its content alkaline minerals which regulate the body’s blood pH, thus neutralizing acidity. It is highly beneficial in the case of gastric and duodenal ulcers.
- Connective tissues, building – This vegetable is packed with silica which helps in the proper construction of connective tissues in the body like tendons, bones, muscles, ligaments, and cartilage.
- Water retention – In its content there are plenty of essential electrolytes which restore the hydration of the body cells thus lowering water retention.
- Fever – The juice of cucumber contains temperature regulating properties and it is highly beneficial in the case of fever.
- Diuretic – This juice acts as diuretic efficiently flushing out waste through urination, and this process helps in dissolving kidney stones.
- Cooling – Normalize your body temperature by drinking a glass of cucumber and celery juice.
- Skin conditions – This vegetable is loaded with antioxidants and vitamin C, and as a result of that it is the ideal ingredient in cosmetic products like beauty creams for the treatment of acne, psoriasis, eczema, and so on.
- Sunburn – The cucumber juice incorporates cooling and healing properties, and that makes it very effective in the treatment of sunburns. All you have to do is to rub it on the affected area.
- Hair growth – Cucumber juice is abundant with sulfur and silicon which support hair growth. For better benefits mix this juice with spinach, lettuce, or carrot juice.
- Puffy eyes – Due to water retention in the body some people wake up with puffy eyes. You can lower the puffiness, all you have to do is to place two slices of cucumber on your eyes and leave it to stay for 10 minutes.
When you are purchasing cucumbers go for the firm ones with dark green color. Do not buy the ones with wrinkles at their ends with yellowish color. You can keep them fresh for a longer period of time if you place them in a refrigerator. The cut cucumbers can stay longer if wrapped up or placed in an air-tight container and then store them in the refrigerator. In this way you can consume them within a day or two.
Have in mind: Always buy organic cucumbers as they can be waxed or contain pesticide.
Other sources included:
Juicing For Health