Falling asleep sometimes it is difficult, so when leg cramps occur becomes even more difficult. They usually appear during the night and are manifested with feet, calves and thighs pain, followed by discomfort which impedes sleep and the overall health.
What is the main cause for occurrence of leg cramps?
Usually they appear due to insufficient exercising during the day, poor blood flow in the legs, and dehydration. Their impact stays for few seconds, few minutes or in the worst case scenario even for few days.
However, you can lower the frequency of their occurrence, and treat them by implementing certain solutions. You need to increase the intake of magnesium by consuming foods rich in this mineral, like dates, yogurt, bananas, vegetables, dark greens, pumpkin seeds, and dark chocolate.
These are the 15 most beneficial foods:
- ACV (apple cider vinegar)
- Green leafy veggies
- Greek yogurt
- Pumpkin seeds
- Sardines and salmon
- Sea salt
Aside the consumption of these foods, you can also this magnesium oil which will help you in preventing cramps especially during the night. Just rub it on the legs before going to bed, and let it stand throughout the night.
Here is the way how to prepare it:
- Half a cup of distilled water
- Half a cup of magnesium chloride flakes
Method of preparation:
First, boil the water in a pot and then while stirring include the flakes in it. Once the flakes have dissolved, remove them from fire and leave them to cool down. After that, pour the oil in a spray bottle.
Use: Before going to sleep spray 5 to 10 times on each leg.
Additional Useful Tips
- Electrolytes Imbalance – in order to prevent cramps, the body needs to be properly hydrated, yet if this does not help then this would mean that the electrolytes might be imbalanced in the body. Therefore, prepare the following beverage which will be very helpful:
Electrolyte Drink- Recipe
- half a teaspoon of unionized salt
- 1-quart water
- 6 teaspoons of sugar
Directions: Just mix all the ingredients. If you want you can replace sugar with honey. But, in this case you need to lower the amount of salt by half. You can include limes and lemon juice.
Use: Drink this beneficial beverage on daily basis.
- Higher intake of vitamin D – it will help in the higher absorption of calcium which is a vital electrolyte that balances the body fluids. Great quantities of vitamin D the body can get from the sun which is the best way, however the consumption of seafood and mushrooms will also help.
- Perform stretches – this will prevent appearance of leg cramps; enhance the blood flow thereby assisting the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to cells. One of the simplest ways is with a ledge and resting a ball of the foot while the heel is on the floor. After that, shift the weight on the ledge; keep it like that for 2 seconds and rest 10. Do 6 to 8 reps. with each leg. By doing this you will relax the calves.
If you suffer from leg cramps, you should:
- Massage the calves by applying circular movements.
- Improve the blood flow by walking slowly as much as possible.
- Do the following stretch: extend the cramping leg and flex ankles, place the toes pointed upward and in the direction of the knees, and then tug the feet, and stretch.
Other sources included: