High blood pressure or hypertension can lead to occurrence of heart disease, stroke or some other severe health conditions. Namely, in the U.S. one of three adults is impacted by this condition meaning more than 70 million adults.
There is also more worrying fact that one-third of the Americans have prehypertension, a condition characterized by high blood pressure. This existing health issue affects our country financially; it actually costs the U.S. $46 billion a year, including the cost of treatment, health care services, and medications.
High blood pressure (HBP)
High blood pressure is actually an increased blood pressure in the arteries which is caused by the following two factors:
- The blood pumping of the heart is extremely strong
- The smaller blood vessels of the body became narrow, thereby inciting the blood to bring more pressure
Causes of high blood pressure
There are two types of HBP, but the most common one is the Primary Hypertension. It is believed that genes are having the determining role whether you will suffer from high blood pressure or not. Namely, genes affect the control of blood pressure and those ones that cause abnormalities of the sympathetic nervous system.
Secondary Hypertension, it is called secondary because it is caused by some other medical condition or medications such as:
- Birth control pills
- Birth defect in the aorta, (the main artery of the heart)
- Diabetes type 1 and 2
- Endocrine disorders
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as : Aspirin, Ibuprofen (generic, Advil, Motrin), and Naproxen (generic, Aleve)
- Kidney disease
- Chronic stress
- Chronic alcohol use
- Family history
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Physical inactivity
- Women over 55 and men over 45.
Pharma treatment and its side effects
Naturally, the pharmaceutical companies offer many medications for solving this health issue, including diuretics, calcium channel blockers (CCBs), beta blockers, Angiotensin-receptor blockers (ARB), and -converting enzyme (ACE). However, these drugs do more harm than good, at the end you will feel worse from when you started to use them.
Here below, we shall specify each prescribed drug for treating hypertension:
Treatment: The first thing which is prescribed by your doctor when high blood pressure is concerned are these drugs. They assist in flushing out excess water and salt out of the body.
Since the pharmaceutical industry is the most profitable one, it offers many brands of these drugs.
- Potassium-sparing diuretics:
- Amiloride (Midamor, generic),
- Triamterene (Dyrenium, generic),
- Spironolactone (Aldactone, generic).
- thacrynic acid (Edecrin, generic),
- furosemide (Lasix, generic),
- torsemide (Demadex, generic)
- bumetanide (Bumex, generic).
- chlorothiazide (Diuril),
- chlorthalidone (Thalitone, Clorpres),
- bendroflumethiazide (Naturetin),
- hydrochlorothiazide (HydroDiuril),
- methyclothiazide (Enduran),
- indapamide (Lozol),
- metolazone (Zaroxolyn).
Thiazide diuretics can reduce the supply of potassium to the body, thereby causing higher risk of occurrence of heart rhythm disorders. Likewise, they are linked to increased blood sugar levels, higher uric acid levels, and erectile dysfunction.
- Irritability and depression
- Low sexual drive
- Urinary incontinence
Treatment: These drugs reduce blood pressure levels and slow down the heart rate.
- Acebutolol (Sectral),
- Propranolol (Inderal),
- Nadolol (Corgard),
- Atenolol (Tenormin),
- Metoprolol (Lopressor),
- Betaxolol (Kerlone),
- Carteolol (Cartrol),
- Timolol (Blocadren),
- Pindolol (Visken),
- Penbutolol (Levatol),
- Carvedilol (Coreg),
- Nebivolol (Bystolic).
- The use of these medicines is not recommended for persons suffering from asthma, emphysema, and chronic bronchitis because they can narrow bronchial airways.
- Once combined with a diuretic they elevate the threat of diabetes disease.
- If their intake is suddenly stopped then they can cause higher blood pressure and heart rate thus leading to heart attack or angina.
- Dizziness and lightheadedness
- Feeling of coldness in the legs, arms, toes, and hands
- Memory loss
- Low sexual drive
- Low exercising abilities
- Lethargy and fatigue
- Almost real nightmares and dreams
Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE)
Treatment: These medicines have the ability to lower the overall workload of the heart and widen the blood vessels.
- Captopril (Capoten, generic),
- Quinapril (Accupril, generic)
- Enalapril (Vasotec, generic),
- Perindopril (Aceon, generic),
- Benazepril (Lotensin, generic),
- Ramipril (Altace, generic),
- Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril, generic).
- Low blood pressure
- Irritating cough
- Not appropriate for pregnancy
Angiotensin-receptor blockers (ARBS)
Treatment: These ones can also reduce the blood pressure and widen blood vessels.
- Azilsartan (Edarbi),
- Candesartan (Atacand)
- Eprosartan (Teveten),
- Irbesartan (Avapro),
- Losartan (Cozaar, Hyzaar, generic),
- Telmisartan (Micardis),
- Olmesartan (Benicar),
- Valsartan (Diovan).
- Low blood pressure
- Increased potassium levels
- Nasal congestion
- Not appropriate for pregnancy
Calcium-channel blockers (CCBS)
Treatment: CCBS have the ability to relax blood vessels.
- Amlodipine (Norvasc),
- Diltiazem (Cardizem, Dilacor),
- Felodipine (Plendil),
- Isradipine (DynaCirc),
- Nicardipine (Cardene),
- Nisoldipine (Sular),
- Nifedipine (Adalat, Procardia),
- Verapamil (Calan, Isoptin, Verelan).
- Erectile dysfunction
- Food interactions
We have presented all the existing prescribed medicines, however there is always a natural solution for treating this health issue like the following herbs:
Herbs: The Natural Way of Treating Hypertension (HBP)
Traditionally, hawthorn was utilized in the treatment of heart disease. It contains potent antioxidant flavonoids which can promote blood flow, dilate the blood vessels, and protect them from damage.
The buds and leaves of hawthorn are with higher amount of flavonoids than from the berries. Namely, in a carried out study it was revealed that persons who took extract from hawthorn for a period of time of 16 weeks managed to lower the high blood pressure.
A study was performed on two groups of men in the age span of 30 to 65 years regarding the effects hibiscus has on the high blood pressure. The first group of participants was given 1 cup of hibiscus tea while the second one drank only water. When certain period of time had passed, the first group experienced substantial improvement in inflammation and blood pressure contrary to the second one which consumed only water.
- Lime Blossom
This plant is very effective for treating anxiety. The flowers of this herb have flavonoids, mucilage component, and volatile oil which when combined together can alleviate inflammation. It is a strong sedative, furthermore, an astringent, antispasmodic and diuretic agent.
Many performed studies certified the ability of mistletoe to neutralize blood sugar levels in people who suffer from diabetes, and also it can treat cardiovascular disease. Likewise, it can alleviate arthritic and rheumatic pain.
This plant is widely used in EU as a result of its powerful medicinal properties. It is consisted of flavonoids which have the ability to relax the muscles in the uterus and intestine, and as well as improve digestion. Most of its parts, including stems, leaves, and flowers are utilized for reducing blood pressure.