Okra is also named as “women’s finger”, and it is produced in tropical and warm places. It contains phytonutrients and is considered as yearly vegetable. In this article we are going to present to you the health benefits of this vegetable, and how to consume it.
The nutritious benefits of okra
Okra is packed with nutrients and contains low calories. Some of the nutrients that it contains are folates, vitamin A, vitamin C, fibers, vitamin K, B vitamins, zinc, magnesium, manganese, potassium, and calcium. This vegetable also contains phytonutrients and antioxidants such as beta-carotene, lutein, and xanthin.
Okra’s medical advantages are the following:
- Anemia – okra is great for stimulating the production of red blood cells and prevents anemia
- Asthma – due to the high amount of vitamin C it could prevent or reduce the asthma attacks
- Cancer – okra acts as anti-cancer agent due to the high amount of antioxidants it contains. Also it is great for stimulating the immune system, and fights free radicals.
- Strengthens the bones –this vegetable contains folate which is great for strengthening the bones. Also it prevents osteoporosis
- Constipation – okra contains fiber and mucilaginous, and also acts as natural diuretic. It is great for the bowel movement and detoxifies the body. If you consume it on regular basis you will prevent constipation and any issues related to the colon.
- Cholesterol – okra is rich with solvent fiber that acts as reducer of the bad cholesterol. Also it prevents atherosclerosis and heart sicknesses
- Boosts the immune system – okra is packed with antioxidants and vitamin C which is great for boosting the immune system. Also it prevents cough and colds
- Diabetes – okra contains insulin-like properties that could reduce glucose level. In order to use it for these purposes you will need to eat 6-8 raw okra on daily basis. This way you will manage to reduce the levels of glucose in the body.
- Pregnancy – due to the folate properties it could lessen the occurrence of neural tube absconds in newborns
- Improves vision – okra is great for improvement of your vision due to the xanthin, beta-carotene, and lutein it contains. Also it could help you treat different eye related issues such as cataract, and glaucoma
- Improves skin health – okra is great for treatment of psoriasis, acne, and other skin issues.
Here is how to consume okra in order to reduce the glucose levels in the body:
You will need to take 3-4 raw okra, but make sure that you remove the stem part. Next, you should open to uncover the internal parts of the okra, and slice it into two pieces. Afterwards put them into water and place them in contains in order to stand overnight in room temperature. In the morning you should consume the okra with water. In 2-4 weeks you will notice that your glucose levels have been reduced, and if you have diabetes you should consume it on regular basis.
Additional utilization tips
You should always look for small in size okra because it is the best. More mature ones are exceptionally sinewy. Also always look for fresh and organic okra. If you can’t find fresh and organic make sure that you put it in mixture of sea salt, water, and apple cider vinegar for 10 minutes. Afterwards wash it well and remove the tops and cut the okra into 2-3 inches. You should also steam or rapidly panfry it, and consume it along with other mixed greens.
You could also squeeze the okra because it has adhesive substances as well. People with kidney stones should avoid consuming it.