Sinus infection has become a common ailment in our country; in fact over 35 million Americans suffer from sinus infections yearly.
The symptoms of these infections can be of wide spectrum starting as a mild congestion to thick discharge, fever and pain around the eyes and face.
Common Signs of Sinusitis
- Sinus pressure or pain around the face and eyes
- Nasal clog
- Thick, yellow, foul-smelling discharge from the nose
- Post-nasal drip
- Persistent cold
Nevertheless, instead of the traditional pharmaceutical medicines you can try the following natural remedies.
Top 10 Effective Natural Treatments of Sinus Infections
It is extremely helpful herb when sinusitis infection is concerned. It can speed up the healing process, and for that purpose you should take 1,000 milligrams 2 to 3 times a day.
- Vitamin C
Vitamin C is very beneficial for the body; it aids in the fight against infections and prevents the free radical damage. In order to achieve this take 1,000 milligrams of it three times a day.
This vegetable is one of the most powerful natural antibiotics, and to obtain this amazing effect you need to take 2-5 grams of fresh garlic or 2-5 milligrams of garlic oil on daily basis.
- Essential Oils
Eucalyptus and peppermint oil are very helpful for the treatment of sinusitis, they open up the sinuses, and remove the mucus. Rub a drop of each oil on the roofing system of the mouth and after that drink some water.
- Oregano Oil
This essential oil shows potent antibacterial and anti-fungal properties which are very efficient in the fight against infections. Take 500 milligrams of this oil 4 times a day, or simply use it for inhalation. Use a large bowl and pour in it boiled water, and then add a few drops of the oregano oil. Lean over the bowl and cover your head with a towel, and now start inhaling the beneficial vapors.
- Grapefruit Seed Extract
This extract is an effective antiviral that can successfully fight off infections. In order to get all these advantages, you should use a grapefruit seed extract nasal spray 4 times a day.
- Neti Pot
For successful treatment of chronic sinus symptoms and clearing the nasal passage, you should use a neti pot with a saline option.
- 8. Moisture
You need proper moisture so that you can treat the congestion and as well as alleviate the symptoms of the infections. You can try to use a saline nasal spray, a humidifier, or simply enjoy a steam-filled restroom.
- Beneficial foods
Foods can cause certain ailments, but as well as treat them. Try to consume the following beneficial foods which can help you in the treatment of this issue.
- Vitamin C foods: All foods high in vitamin C can speed up the recovery and boost immunity.
- Garlic and onions: Both of them boost the immunity and are considered to be the most powerful natural antibiotics.
- Ginger: Ginger tea is extremely helpful in the treatment of sinus infection.
- Horseradish: It can be used as a homemade treatment which can successfully clear the nasal passages. For that purpose, you need to mix horseradish with lemon and consume it.
- Water: Proper body hydration is a must for good health. So, in the case of sinus infections, it is also highly needed. In order to remove the virus from your system you need to drink 8 ounces of water every 2 hours.
- Harmful foods
In the case of sinus infections you should make certain to avoid the following foods:
- Refined flour and grains: This consumption incites mucus production.
- Sugar: The intake of sugar lowers white blood cells which are highly needed in the fight against infections.
- Salt: Salt dehydrates the body thus slowing down the healing process.
- Fruit juices: Most of these juices are processed and filled with sugar.
- Dairy products: This type of food stimulates the production of mucus.