Dextromethorphan – DXM is the main active ingredient in many cough medicines, and it has been used by many people for decades. However, many people do not know that this ingredient is extremely harmful for their overall health.
Specifically, DXM is extremely dangerous that it can become deadly for children and young adults. It is believed to be the capital cause of drug-related death in young adults and emergency room visits.
In fact, 10% of children do not have the proper enzymes required for effective metabolism of DXM, which can usually result in dangerous consequences for the overall health.
Food and Drug Administration (FDA) states that infants and children under 2 years old are not supposed to take any of the over-the-counter cough and cold medicines as they have severe and life-threatening side effects.
According to a 2004 study released in the journal of Pediatrics where 100 youngsters with upper-respiratory infections were involved proved that dextromethorphan and diphenhydramine are not more effective than a placebo when it comes to improving the nighttime cough or sleep.
Therefore, in this article we shall present you a natural homemade remedy which is more effective than any available over-the-counter cough syrups, which are harmful and life-threatening.
This natural cough and lung inflammation recipe is consisted of simple ingredients, but when combined together they make a potent cough, lung, and congestion inflammation remedy.
Here are the ingredients:
- Ginger is frequently used in the cold treatments as a result of its potent anti-inflammatory properties thus relieving inflamed, irritated, or swollen bronchial tubes. Moreover, ginger contains immune-boosting properties and great expectorant effects, which are very useful in clearing the mucus.
- Turmeric is a known ingredient for the Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine. It has been used for centuries due to its powerful antibacterial, antiviral, and carminative properties. It aids in the treatment of infections or in diseases of the circulatory, digestive, and respiratory system. Likewise, it can successfully soothe the inflammation of the lungs thanks to its potent anti-inflammatory characteristics.
- Thyme, on the other hand contains antibiotic and astringent properties and as well as contains essential oil. It incorporates potent anti-cough and sore throat-fighting properties. According to lot of practitioners of traditional herbal medicine thyme has the ability to suppress a cough thanks to its powerful antitussive properties. Likewise, thyme can relax the muscles of the trachea and bronchi, and open up the airways. German researchers have conducted a study on thyme which revealed that it can lower cough and mucus production by 60%.
Recipe for Homemade Cough Syrup
- 1 green tea bag or 1 teaspoon of green tea
- Half a teaspoon of ginger root (grated)
- Half a teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/3 teaspoon of thyme
- Squeezed juice of half a lemon
- 2 teaspoons of raw, organic honey
Just place the herbs in a large cup with boiling water and leave them steep for a few minutes. After that, strain and include the honey and lemon.
Other sources included: