Small portion-controlled meals based on few bites are big trend nowadays. They are also very delicious and everyone likes them. They are very tasty when dipped in various sauces.
However, people believe that they are very caloric and unhealthy, and because of that are very reluctant when consuming them. Fortunately, there are healthy alternatives to these small portions meals and you can still enjoy their incredible taste. We are talking about zucchini garlic bites that are very nutritious and at the same time delicious.
Zucchini is rich in vital nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium, and manganese. This low-carb vegetable has become very popular in various cuisines, and for the right reasons.
The nutritional value of a medium zucchini with skin (about 196 grams):
- 3 milligrams vitamin C (56% DV)
- 4 milligram vitamin B6 (21% DV)
- 4 micrograms vitamin K (11% DV)
- 392 international units vitamin A (8% DV)
- 514 milligrams potassium (15% DV)
- 5 milligrams phosphorus (7% DV)
- 8 micrograms folate (14% DV)
- 3 milligrams magnesium (8% DV)
- 1 milligrams niacin (5% DV)
- 3 milligram manganese (17% DV)
- 3 milligram riboflavin (16% DV)
- 1 milligram thiamine (6% DV)
- 1 milligram copper (5% DV)
- 4 grams protein
- 4 gram fat
- 2 grams fiber
- 4 calories
- 6 grams carbohydrates
In addition to this incredible nutritional value, the zucchini has in its content vitamin E, calcium, iron, zinc, selenium, pantothenic acid, and choline. It is packed with water and polysaccharides that will better overall heart health. There is also the content of pectin that battles against the inflammation and prevents diabetes and insulin resistance.
Here is the recipe of delicious zucchini garlic bites:
A Recipe of Healthy Zucchini Garlic Bites
- 1 cup of zucchini
- 1/3 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- A quarter cup of Parmesan cheese, nicely grated
- 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove
- A pinch of salt and pepper
First, you need to preheat the oven to 400˚ F. Prepare the pan by spreading a baking sheet lightly coated with olive oil or use non-stick spray.
In order for your zucchini to be crispy you need to squeeze out the moisture as much as possible. For that purpose, shred the zucchini by using a food processor or hand grater. After that, place the zucchini shreds in a kitchen towel and wring out the moisture.
Take a bowl of medium size and grate the garlic in it and then add the rest of the listed ingredients. Mix the ingredients and create small balls in the size of a tablespoon. Put these balls on the baking sheet and bake them for around 15 minutes till they become golden. Once ready serve them with the marinara sauce.
Here it is how to prepare the marinara sauce for dipping:
A Recipe of Homemade Marinara Sauce
- 2 (14.5 ounces) cans of stewed tomatoes
- 1 (6-ounce) tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- Half a cup of white wine.
- A quarter teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
Sauté the onion with the olive oil in a large skillet, and then include the tomato sauce along with the white wine. Simmer it on low heat for half an hour with occasional stirring. Leave it to cool off and then place it in a food processor and blend till it becomes smooth.